Not all salads are created equally. We know this, but sometimes, I have to remind myself as I gravitate towards salads with all of the fixings like bacon, cheese, croutons, and best of all: creamy dressings! Suddenly, my smarter and healthier eating choice has become a dish that’s just shy of cheeseburger. When we have a salad we automatically think that it’s going to be healthier but this isn’t always the case.
As I strive to eat better, I realize that I can’t have my usual favorites like Caesar Salads and Cobb Salads. This irritates me to no end, which is why I refused to accept defeat. Well actually– my tastebuds refused to accept defeat! I created a salad that high in protein and just as rich and tasty and a regular Caesar Salad. My Healthy Caesar Salad uses non-fat Greek Yogurt as a base along with lemon zest and fresh parmesan cheese. It’s a salad so tasty, that you have a hard time believing it’s actually good for you! I can have this salad without guilt without sacrifice taste, which is usually the struggle whenever you’re trying to eat healthy.
Best of all, the dressing to this salad is so tasty, that I sometimes make it as a dip for chips and veggies. The tartness from the Greek Yogurt and lemon compliment each other and it’s a match made in heaven. Furthermore, the freshly grated Parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper bring this dish to new heights! Serve this dish at your next gathering and you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 head of romaine
- ½ head of radicchio
- ½ cup Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Lemon Zested
- 1 Lemon juiced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tbs worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Thinly sliced red onions
- Shaved parmesan cheese
- Croutons *optional*
- Wash and dice romaine and radicchio. Set aside
- Add cold yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, and worcestershire into a bowl and mix until well combined
- In a separate bowl add romaine and radicchio
- Then add as much dressing as you like. Toss carefully
- Then add sliced onions, croutons, and shaved parmesan cheese
- Enjoy as a side salad or main salad
This salad pairs well with grilled chicken or shrimp. Feel free to add anchovy paste if you like. If you do, omit the salt. Dress salad with dressing right before serving. Salad dressing taste best when served chilled.