Habichuelas con Dulce Dominicanas | Dominican Sweet Beans | Made To Order | Chef Zee CooksPrint This
- 1 ½ Bags of Red Dominican Beans
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 3 cans of Evaporated Milk (4 ½ cups)
- *sub one can for coconut milk if you like it with coco milk
- 1 can Sweet Condensed Milk
- 2 cups Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tbs Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbs Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- ½ tbs Cloves
- 2-3 Batatas Cubed
- ¼ Cup Raisins
- *Extra can of evaporated milk or regular milk in case your Habichuelas con Dulce gets too thick while cooking
- Rinse Red Beans and place into pressure cooker with enough water to cover beans. Make sure that you follow the rules for your own pressure cooker. Cook beans until they are nice and soft. I used an Instant Pot and I set my beans to cook for 50mins. If you don’t have a pressure cooker or don’t wish to use one, feel free to soften beans on the stove. Just note that this may take longer.
- Once beans are nice and soft, add beans along with the water that they cooked in and 1/2 of the regular and place into blender. Blend until beans are nice and smooth. Afterwards, remove beans and strain through a fine mesh and into a large pot. Repeat steps until you have blended all of your beans.
- Once beans are strained, place pot onto stove and turn stove onto medium heat. Now add evaporated milk, sweet condensed milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon sticks, ground nutmeg, and ground cinnamon. Milk until well combined.
- Keep a close eye on beans and continue to stir constantly.
- After 10 minutes, add diced batatas. Note: When dicing batatas, be sure to dice batatas under running water so that they don’t oxidize. Place batatas into bowl with water and salt to also prevent them from turning brown.
- Once the batatas have been added, stir constantly. You want to prevent the sugar from burning on the bottom of the pot. After about 15 minutes, the beans will begin to simmer and rise. This is a sign that the sugar is beginning to caramelize. Turn flame down to low and continue to stir
- After another 10-15mins, check the tenderness of the batatas with a fork, toothpick, or cake tester. If batatas are soft, then you’re batatas have cooked through. Now ass raisins and continue to stir for another 2-5 minutes. If you notice that your Habichuelas con Dulce are thickening too much, feel free to add more milk.
- Once the Habichuelas con Dulce are done, feel free to enjoy hot or cold. Garnish with special milk cookies and enjoy! Buen provecho!
If you can't find Dominican Red Beans, feel free to use regular Red Beans or even Pinto Beans. If you use Pinto Beans, the Habichuela con Dulce may not develop a rich dark brown color as picture above and as seen in my video. You can also use whichever kind of sugar you like -- regular sugar or sweet condensed milk. The choice is up to you. Do keep extra milk on hand as this dish will thicken as it cools. You can add as much milk as you like. If you like this dish cold then you will definitely need to add extra milk.