Guava and Cheese Pastelitos are a Cuban treat created by God himself…. Ok that’s overly dramatic but my point is that Guava and Cheese Pastelitos are out of this world delicious! The warm sweet guava with the slightly sweet tart cream cheese paired with flakey puff pastries is dessert gold! They’re an instant favorite and pairs incredibly well with Cuban coffee or any espresso of your choice.
In fact, Guava and Cheese Pastelitos are one the first things that I have to have whenever I land in Miami. These puff pastries are a staple in Miami cafes just like croquetas and Cuban Sandwiches. All in all, guava and cheese are a match made in heaven much like rice and beans. The combination never gets old and it hits close to home. Making them yourself will undoubtedly taste better than anything you find at the store.
Most importantly, you would never believe just how easy it is to make! All it takes is a few ingredients and a hot oven … and BOOM!
You’d like to see a step-by-step tutorial simply click here: How to Make Guava & Cheese Pastelitos
Guava & Cheese Pastelitos | Made To Order | Chef Zee CooksPrint This
- Ingredients: Pastelitos
- 1 pack of puff pastries with 2 sheets
- 8 oz Guava Paste
- 8 oz Cream cheese
- 1-2 eggs
- Ingredients: Simple Syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Thaw your puff pastries and set to the side
- Beat egg[s] and set aside
- Using room temperature cream cheese, beat on medium to high speed with sugar
- Add cream to a piping bag (optional) and then set aside
- Cut guava paste into slices. Feel free to cut them as think or as thick as you’d like. Set aside
- Sprinkle some flour onto a pastry board and roll out both sheets of dough. Be careful not to roll out dough too thin.
- Cut dough into desired pieces—I usually cut mine into 6 or 9 pieces depending on how I want the pastelitos to be. You can choose whatever size you want them to be
- Now add cream cheese to each of the dough pieces
- Add 2-4 pieces of guava paste to each dough piece as well ontop of the cream cheese
- Brush the edges of the dough with egg wash
- Place 2nd dough piece ontop of the first. You want your pastelitos to have a top and bottom piece
- With a sharp knife, cut 3 slits to the top of each pastelito
- Cool pastelito for 20mins of the dough is not cool to touch *optional but this will make your pastelitos flakier
- Brush tops of pastelito with egg wash. Be careful not to use too much or let the egg wash pool in mini puddles on top of pastelitos. Scrambled egg pastelito do not taste good
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-30 mins until puff pastries become a light golden color
- While pastelitos are baking, mix equal parts sugar and water. Let it boil for 5 mins and the let it cool completely
- Once pastelitos are done, remove from oven, and let them cool for 3-5 minutes
- While the pastelitos are still warm, brush tops of pastelitos with simple syrup
- Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy