Tasty Chicken Fajitas Recipe with a Homemade Delicious Taco Seasoning Blend
Everyone needs a good one pot dish that they can whip up for family dinners, parties, or busy nights. Chicken Fajitas is one of my go-to chicken recipes. In fact, my tasty chicken fajitas recipe is made with a homemade delicious taco seasoning blend.
Moreover, my homemade taco seasoning blend is what takes this recipe to the next level. It’s a seasoning blend that’s extremely easy to make. You probably even have everything in your pantry right now to bring it to life. This seasoning blend works well with poultry, pork, beef, fish, and veggies. The trick is to not add salt so that you can make it versatile.
In fact, one of my favorite ingredients in the homemade seasoning blend is the brown sugar. The brown sugar balances the heat from the smoked paprika and chili powder. That little bit of sweetness caramelizes and you’re left with food that leaves your guests and family wanting more!
Chicken Fajitas is one of those dishes that you can whip up any time of the week. It’s a crowd favorite and insanely easy to make. I suggest slicing the chicken thin beforehand. You then season the chicken with the homemade seasoning, add lime, and olive oil. Let it marinate for at least 20 minutes before cooking.
The best part about this recipe is that you could even use it to meal prep throughout the week. It’s full of flavors that deepen as the chicken sits and settles. In fact, you can even enjoy this chicken with rice, beans, tortilla, or your favorite starch.
Now Chicken Fajitas wouldn’t be fajitas without well – fajitas! Sauteed colorful bell peppers of your choice. This dish is super vibrant, which is also what makes it so appealing and appetizing. I recommend using an array of different bell peppers. Red, yellow, and orange bell peppers are a few of my favorite bell peppers to use in this recipe.
The secret is to set aside 1-2 tsp of the homemade seasoning blend and add it to the veggies. This ensures that everything is well seasoned throughout. Now before we jump right into the recipe, here are a few tips & tricks!
Chicken Fajitas Tips & Tricks!
Tip #1: Slice chicken breasts into even & think strips to ensure for even and quick cooking
Tip #2: Cook the chicken in small batches to prevent the chicken from braising. We want to pan fry the chicken so that it build color and flavor in the pot
Tip #3: Just like the chicken, slice peppers and onions into even pieces so that everything cooks evenly
Tip #4: Add 1-2 tsp of the homemade seasoning blend along with kosher salt to the veggies. This will make sure the dish is fully seasoned throughout
Tip #5: When you add the chicken back into the pot and saute it with the veggies, add any juices that may have come out when the chicken was resting. Also add ½ freshly squeezed lime. This will help deglaze the bottom of the pot and add to the flavor of the dish
Chicken Fajitas is a chicken recipe full of flavor. By layering the flavors through marinade, small batch cooking, and ultimately deglazing, you build a flavor profile that’s intense yet delicious. Never forget to add fresh lime and cilantro at the very end. This helps all of those lovely flavors come alive. You could even make this dish with shrimp or steak!
If you want to follow along while I make my Chicken Fajitas Recipe, be sure to visit my YouTube Channel: Chef Zee Cooks!
And now for the recipe!
- 2 lbs Chicken Breasts
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder or 5 Cloves Crushed Garlic
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Dominican or Mexican Orégano
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Green Bell Pepper
- ½ Orange Bell Pepper
- ½ Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Large Spanish Onion
- 1 Lime or Sour Orange
- 1 tbsp Fresh Cilantro
- Corn or Flour Tortilla
- Thinly slice chicken breast and set aside in a large mixing bowl
- Slice onions and bell peppers. Set aside in a different large mixing bowl
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, and oregano. Mix until well combined. Set aside
- Add 1-2 tsp of the homemade taco seasoning blend and add it to the onions and peppers. Add 1/2 tsp of kosher salt. Mix until well combine. Set aside
- Add the rest of the seasoning blend to the chicken. Then squeeze 1/2 fresh lime and add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Mix until well combined
- In a large skillet over medium - high heat, add 1 tbsp of Olive Oil. Once the oil is hot, cook chicken in small batches flipping the chicken over every few minutes (3-5mins on each side). Remove the chicken once it's cooked and set aside. Feel free to add extra oil as you cook the chicken in small batches. The goal is to pan fry the chicken
- Once the chicken is cooked, add seasoned veggies. Saute for 2 minutes. Add chicken along with any juices that was released while the chicken rested. Gently fold the chicken with the veggies. Squeeze the other half the lime and garnish with fresh cilantro. Try not to over cook the veggies. Enjoy while warm with tortillas or rice and beans