Juicy air-fryer chicken thighs with a Cuban Style Mojo Sauce!
As you can probably guess, I’m still in love with my air-fryer! This device is truly here to stay since it makes cooking so easy and quick! Most importantly, I can enjoy my favorite guilty pleasures – guilt-free! My latest air-fryer recipe is a tasty, quick, and easy Air Fryer Cuban Mojo Chicken! This recipe includes a juicy air-fryer boneless chicken thighs with a Cuban Style Mojo Sauce!
Now it’s no secret that I like to create air-fryer recipes that include flavors from my childhood. This Cuban Mojo Chicken is no exception. By using chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, we ensure that the chicken comes out juicy. The worst feeling is eating dry chicken that might as well be jerky. Chicken thighs will give you the tastiest results. Did I mention that it’s also an affordable option? It’s a win all around.
However, if you have chicken breasts in the fridge, you can definitely use chicken breast instead. Just make sure that you adjust the cooking time to prevent the chicken cutlets from drying out. I would even recommend that you slice the chicken cutlets into thicker pieces.
If you LOVE Cuban Chicken as much as I do, make sure you also check out my recipe for Dominican Style Air Fryer Chicken! Why stop at one recipe when you can try two?!
Additionally, one of my favorite things about this recipe is of course is the Cuban Style Mojo. You can make the mojo sauce in a variety of different ways. Today is no exception! The key is to use onions, a ton of garlic, salt, and citrus. Your citrus of choice could be fresh lemons, fresh oranges, a mixture of both, or my personal favorite – sour oranges! Today, I’m making my Cuban Mojo Sauce with freshly squeezed orange juice.
Wait, orange juice! Huh? What? Why? Believe it or not, using freshly squeezed orange juice will give you a Cuban Mojo Sauce that’s very delicious. The extra sugars from the orange juice actually caramelize and result in a sauce that’s worthy of the crispy air fried chicken. It’s a quick and easy way of enjoying mojo sauce if you don’t have fresh oranges, lemons, or sour oranges around the house. You could even squeeze some fresh lemon or lime into the orange juice for your own homemade sour orange blend!
Moreover, before we jump right into the Air Fryer Cuban Mojo Chicken Recipe – here are a few tips to make sure this recipe comes out PERFECT!
Air Fryer Cuban Mojo Chicken Tips & Tricks!
Tip #1: If possible, use boneless chicken thighs. This cut of meat will ensure that it stays juicy in the air-fryer
Tip #2: If you use chicken breasts, slice the cutlets in half and go with a thicker cut so that it doesn’t dry out in the air fryer
Tip #3: Always add some olive oil to your meat marinade when air fryer. The extra moisture will prevent it from drying out. It will also help make the chicken crispy
Tip #4: When making the Mojo Sauce, use your favorite citrus of choice. For maximum flavor – use freshly squeezed juices (or the fruit itself) as opposed to artificially flavored juices. Artificially flavored juices don’t have the same flavor or impact as fresh ingredients and juices
Tip #5: Cook your Cuban Mojo Sauce over medium-high heat. You want the veggies to soften as they saute. The goal is to prevent the garlic from burning which will change the flavor of the sauce.
All in all, I guarantee that if you follow all of these tips and tricks, this Cuban Mojo Chicken will wow! Once you’ve made the chicken and the sauce, be sure to pour the sauce over the chicken. The crispy chicken will absorb the sauce. Air fryer chicken never tasted so good!
And now for the recipe…
- 2 lbs Free-range Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- 2 White Onions
- 1 Head of Garlic
- Olive Oil
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Slice onions and place into a bowl. Set aside. Mince garlic and set aside as well
- In a large mixing bowl, season free-range boneless chicken thighs with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, kosher salt, black pepper and olive oil. Let sit for 20 mins
- Place chicken into air fryer. Air Fry chicken at 375F for 22 minutes. Note that cooking time may vary depending on the size of the chicken. Cook times may also vary if you are using chicken breast
- After chicken has finished cooking, remove and place into a baking dish. Let chicken rest
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add onions, minced garlic, and kosher salt. Saute for 3-5 minutes. Once onions begin to soften, add freshly squeeze orange juice or lemons. Add thyme. Continue to cook until onions are soft which will be about another 5 minutes
- Once the mojo sauce is complete, add to air fried chicken. Enjoy with rice, beans, or veggies. Enjoy while warm